Import into Google My Maps

12

Import into Google My Maps

Had a user e-mail as ask about importing a MapAList map into Google My Maps....here was my response:
_______________________________

Hey User,

Good news - you can definitely take a MapAList map and save it to Google My Maps.  I say definitely because I tested it this morning with one of my own maps.  All you have to do is download the KML file associated with your MapAList map and import it into Google My Maps.  Here's the process.

1. View your map in MapAList by selecting "Maps" and then "View".
2. Click on the little floppy disk icon below your map and save the KML file for your map to your computer.
3. Open Google My Maps.
4. Click on the "Create New Map" link.
5. Click on the "Import" link.
6. Click on the "Choose File" button and select the KML file that you downloaded from MapAList.

Google will then import your map into My Maps.  You can do with it what you like.
dw

Re: Import into Google My Maps

dw
I tried this but it only imported a few of the entries. Is there a limit on how many of the entries Google Maps can show?

Re: Import into Google My Maps

Hmmm...I just gave it another test and was able to successfully import 137 entries very quickly without issue.  Did you zoom in after you imported?  Google Maps does not automatically change the zoom level for you, so if you have, for example, 100 entries in the same city they might look like they are on top of each other.  Zooming in would show the differentiation.

How many entries are you attempting to upload?

If you still have an issue, please e-mail your KML file to help@mapalist.com and we will dig into if further.

Re: Import into Google My Maps

dw

Re: Import into Google My Maps

dw
I've got just over 300 entries. I would say it adds around 150, yeah. I can see that inside the KML file it has all the entries, but when I upload it to Google Maps it only displays the first 150 or so entries.

Re: Import into Google My Maps

StringerFingers
My file uploaded to google maps, but none of the pinned addresses are visible.

Re: Import into Google My Maps

Hey StringerFingers,

If you e-mail us your MapAList user name and the name of the map you are trying to upload into Google Maps we can take a look.  Please send to help@mapalist.com.

Re: Import into Google My Maps

Bryan Thomas
I was looking at your thread on importing My Maps into google. I am trying to do something similar. I want to import a large floor plan for our factory and make it into a map. It doesn't seem real clear on how to do that.

How can I import a floor plan into google maps?? is it possible.

Thanks
Bryan Thomas
425-717-4995

Re: Import into Google My Maps

Bryan,

Can you be a bit more specific about what you're looking to do?  I don't think I fully understand what you're after.

Re: Import into Google My Maps

HancockChurch
The import process worked, but the addresses of the placemarks were changed when I viewed them in My Maps. They were typically moved to the address of the house across the street or to the next door house.

Re: Import into Google My Maps

That's odd - something I haven't seen before.  Anyone else seen the same thing?

Re: Import into Google My Maps

Abraham Walker
I would like to thank you for sharing this wonderful tip.  I greatly appreciate you sharing this information.

Re: Import into Google My Maps

Daren
Amazing!! This is awesome- i was one step away from what I came here trying to do. I needed to put it in my maps so I can access it on my android phone.

Thanks for the tip.

Re: Import into Google My Maps

Sue Lambert
I tried this and it did upload many of my pins but it appears that it does not pin duplicates. My pins were members from certain locations. Some were towns, some only provided states.....so it was possible to have 2 or more from a single state but it appears to only have made a pin for each unique location.

Could this be why some pins are missing?

Sue

Re: Import into Google My Maps

The Map Commissioner
Sue - MapAList only shows 1 pin per unique location.  That is correct.

Re: Import into Google My Maps

Alberto
This post was updated on .
Problem solved, sorry. It's all ok. Great utility!!

Hi,
all ok for the preview map but i can found only 1 name in the google map (and it's not the first of the list but one in the middle).
Any suggestion?

Re: Import into Google My Maps

Alberto
Hi,
it seems to have imported all of my 311 different addresses but in some cases, if two addresses are near each other, it shows only one pin. This is a problem for me because i need to see all the pin also if they are very close. Is there the possibility to solve this issue?
Tnks for your help

Re: Import into Google My Maps

The Map Commissioner
No easy solution here other than zooming in very close.  If the points have the same address they will be on top of each other.

Re: Import into Google My Maps

Alberto
This post was updated on .
They are in the same city but sited in different addresses. I tried recording some of them directly in google maps by hand and it's ok. Sure in these cases i've to zoom; but for me it's ok. Is there the possibility to do that with your utility? It's very important for me.
Tnks a lot for your help

edit: i've found another utility that make exactly what i need. Thanks anyway

Re: Import into Google My Maps

steve
I might just be blind but I don't see a floppy disk icon anywhere on my screen.  What am I missing?  I am on the view map screen and the map looks fine.  But the only things I can do are change the map, refresh it, share it and support mapalist but that's about it?

Thanks.
12